History Comes Alive – TEKS Based Educational Programs
Several standard tour options are offered to meet the needs of your group. If other tour experiences are desired, the museum's Education Coordinator is available to assist in the design of alternative activities.
All school tours must be booked in advance through the Education Programs Coordinator, Telephone (830)997-4379 ext. 222, or e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Living History Tours:
- Beginning 8 December 2009 there will be no charge for school tours. No charge applies to all accredited public, private and home school groups from Elementary through University level.
- We will no longer provide docent guided tours but will continue to provide living history programs as in the past. All tours of the museum will be self-guided utilizing the TEKS based lesson plans on our website.
- ALL tours MUST be coordinated in advance through our Education Coordinator. Contact the Education Coordinator at (830)997-4379 x222 or email at email@example.com.
Self-Guided Museum Tours:
- We continue to offer living history programs for schools during the week as in the past. These programs last two hours and will be limited to a maximum of 60 people (students and adults) per program.
- Schools arranging living history programs must arrive at the appointed time. Schools that are not on site 30 minutes or more past the appointed time will have their program cancelled.
- Schools with more than 60 people will have to be on site at least four and a half hours if they want all to see the living history program as this will require two programs.
Guidelines for School Tours:
- Tours of the Nimitz Hotel, grounds and George H.W. Bush Gallery will be self-guided.
- Lesson plans on our website will offer a variety of tours each lasting approximately two hours.
- The lesson plans will include a site map showing the locations of exhibit areas supporting that lesson.
- All tours are booked on a "first call, first served" basis.
- We expect, at a minimum, one adult (teacher or parent) for each ten students. That adult's job is to maintain order and discipline.
- No food, drinks or chewing gum are allowed inside the museum.
- If you are going to be late, please call and let us know.
- Please call if you are going to cancel the tour so we can free up the date for other tours.
Groups of educators are welcome at the museum. Please contact the Education Programs coordinator at (830)997-4379 ext. 222, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance. We can provide a tour of the museum as an overview or can concentrate on a topic of your choice. We can assist you in utilizing our existing TEKS based lesson plans or in developing a more detailed program to meet your specific needs.